World Zone Elite

Zone FTW
It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Worlds DLOR partner needed.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Ecko wrote:
Pete runs 3 events in 2 days with more people every year.

Team comp alone takes 22 hours not counting any type of ascension.. when was the last time anyone in the US ran something like that? I am not cutting any events down from a perfect grid. There will be no errors in the grid and no mistakes. Either you will appreciate that or you wont, I don't really care.

You had no idea what you were signing up for, as I made it perfectly clear in my post it might change satellite events based on time.

I never crunched the numbers for DLOR, since everyone before said they had no interest in playing it. My guess and is purely a guess is DLOR would take half the time. I'll look at it, it's what I wanted all along. However it adds a host of issues for me to try to deal with and since non of you really understand or care I am less inclined to even try to figure it out, but I will look at it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:31 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Gumby wrote:
Ecko wrote:
Are we really talking about not having any LOR? We need some kind of LOR, what happened to DLOR? If we don't enough time for regular LOR then DLOR is fine. But replacing DLOR with doubles arena is not an option I would like. I don't know about others but LOR is the second most important event to me. I rather play a little less team games then just get rid of LOR all together, especially since thats not what I paid for. I paid for team, trips, DLOR, elim and solo; you can't just get rid of events after people have paid. I'm pretty sure most people would be fine(at least my team) with cutting some team/elim/trips games down to make time for LOR/DLOR. We have 6 days and only 12 teams, I don't see why there is such a time constraint. Pete runs 3 events in 2 days with more people every year.

I'm fine with harsh cuts for LOR/Solos/Trips if there's not enough time, show up and and win. Playing solos, doubles, and trips is a waste of time and money. Put up a poll, I'm sure most people want to play LOR.

Not having a dig - but if you put up a poll, there are 6 US teams thus we'll simply play whatever the US teams want.

While I'll admit I expected to play LOR (not DLOR), I don't want to cut the Team Comp! Pun has already stated that Doubles (which if it has no bases is not going to be the way Australia plays currently) and Trippples (which sounds like it will end up being a hybrid of different ways of playing Trippples - which is good) takes a combined 6 hours or so (if I remember correctly).

How long is the Team Elim comp going to take?
How long does Warlords typically take?

The Team Elim comp is the only one I figure perhaps could be cut back a little bit to fit in a Team LOR comp (e.g. Warlords) as posted above. Using the scheduling information Pun has provided, I don't believe there is a way to fit in a 8hr LOR comp.

Would reducing the Team Elim comp and putting in Warlords make you feel better?

Pun - Are you able to post a DRAFT schedule so we can all understand the time constraints you're under?

I think warlords would take like hour and a half maybe. lol. 5 man teams play and 3 teams play at a time.

Elim takes 11 hours for a perfect grid, I thought about using a cycle of the comp game to rank teams to make some new grid but changed my mind and just stuck with one cycle through team comp, everyone plays everyone twice.

All Satellites take 3 to 4 hours.

I think it adds upto about 60 hours of game play with all ascensions/or systems. Not at my computer though, and my schedule is aggressive for the time restraights I have on me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:04 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

As most people already know I love lor events and would rather see that then solos or doubles however I know it's not an event that is big internationally so I understand why half of the people attending wouldn't enjoy it. I do think that solo, doubles and trips is a bit of an over kill. I would rather see doubles scrapped and warlords put in. The time frame allows but we are running into a location issue. Warlords is a mix of doubles lor and eliminator mixed. It's a 5 man team event. You start the game 2v2v2 and after you lose a certain amount of lifes you are eliminated and hand off your pack to the next person who steps in and play until eliminated. Last team standing wins.

I would strongly encourage all teams to vote for an lor event over doubles (if time allows) even if you feel you will just get worked it does help with timing and getting a much better feel for the packs.

I've never been to this site so I have no idea if there is space in the arena, lobby or any place else for a warlords event.

Slick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:13 am 
 E-mail  Profile

ArcticAvenger wrote:
But the thing I don't understand is why don't we take out either doubles or triples? Especially if both events are considered to have bases on, then those will be pretty similar events.
A strong LOR player isn't necessarily a strong solo player though. So choosing LOR over doubles/triples would serve for a greater amount of players (with different styles / understanding of the game).

BigPun wrote:
Sorry realized I had a type o.... I do NOT endorse bases for doubles and do not belive they should be on. What is your opinion? I could drop doubles but certainly there would be nothing in its place.
We are not choosing doubles or triples over lor... Lor takes over 8 hours to run doubles takes 3 to 3.5 and triples takes 3.... Its all based on what there is time for thats all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:55 am 
 E-mail  Profile

I understand that many US players are really big fans of LOR and some of you guys even think it is the best event ever but you have to understand that there are also people who don't like LOR at all. It is interesting format but it is also an event that mainly US players practise and therefore it's almost 100% sure that all the trophies will go to US players. Therefore it seems to be mostly waste of time from my perspective.

The only real pro I can think of playing LOR event myself is the opportunity to get better feel for the packs and the timing. As for the DLOR I think no one outside of USA has played that format ever. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:05 am 
 E-mail  Profile

I am sure I can run a 36 team Dlor Event in less then 3.5 hours if I have access to 3 rings. I can promise everyone 4-5 games of DLor Depending on the number of teams.

This is my break down and I might be wrong so you grid master out there please double check my numbers.

LOR Idea #1 default

Players listed in the event (based of Mark's Team roster jpg)

16 - Fins
15 - Aus
34 - Americans

Total of 65 Players (Lets add 1 more and make it an even 66 players) I don't think that everyone in the event will participate in Dlor but lets say they do.
---------------------

Round 1

65 Players / 2 = 33 teams

33 teams / 3 rings = 11 teams per ring (a random draw or even better I would drop a pair from each team into each ring)

11 team round robin (play everyone 1 time) = 15 games

15 games x 5 minutes = 75 minutes (1:15)

After 1 hour and 15 minutes 34 teams should have played 5 games each.

The top 3 teams in each group advance

--------------------

Semi Finals

3 teams x 3 rings = 9 teams in the semi finals

9 team round robin = 12 games played

12 games x 5 minutes a game = 60 minutes (1:00)

---------------------

Finals

top 3 teams go to finals -

3 games finals = 15 minutes -

Total time 2 hours and 30 minutes - (this allows plenty of room for down time between games as well as additional time for accessions if allowed.)

However I am a man that loves LOR and I hate sitting around and getting cold, plus a game of LOR should also include an endurance factor should it not :smt109: ???? I THINK SO :mrgreen: !!! SO BEHOLD

:los_thefinger: SLICK'S IRON MAN DLOR :los_thefinger:

Players listed in the event

16 - Fins
15 - Aus
34 - Americans

---------------------

Round 1

65 Players / 2 = 33 teams

33 teams / 3 rings = 11 teams per ring

11 team round robin (play everyone 1 time) = 15 games

15 games x 5 minutes = 75 minutes (1:15)

After 1 hour and 15 minutes 34 teams should have played 5 games each.

The top 3 teams in each group advance

--------------------

Semi Finals (Iron Man)

3 teams x 3 rings = 9 teams in the semi finals

9 team round robin = 12 games Played

12 games / 3 rings = 4 games played! everyone plays 4 back to back games!! Thats right no breaks :smt110: game starts and when you finish you move to the next ring to play your next game!! 20 minutes of straight DLOR!!

4 games x 5 minutes = 20 minutes

Round 1 and Semi = 1 hours and 35 minutes
---------------------

Finals

top 3 teams go to finals -

3 games finals = 15 minutes -

Total Time = 1 hour 50 minutes

At this point you have plenty of time to do a long accession!! instead of top 3 teams to finals however I think we should get Crazy and just take the top 3 DLOR teams do a final and sneak in a round robin of WARLORDS (Should take about 1 hour and a half)!! TOP 3 Warlord teams go to finals!!! (Please keep in mind that you could do 2 rings of Warlords at a time and cut down the time in half!!!)

Slick's Iron Man DLOR = 1 hour 50 minutes
Warlords (1 round robin and 3 finals) = 1 hour 45 minutes (Shorter if we use 2 rings)

Total LOR Events 3 hours and a half!!!

Im Slick Bitch!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:16 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Nihil wrote:
I understand that many US players are really big fans of LOR and some of you guys even think it is the best event ever but you have to understand that there are also people who don't like LOR at all. It is interesting format but it is also an event that mainly US players practise and therefore it's almost 100% sure that all the trophies will go to US players. Therefore it seems to be mostly waste of time from my perspective.

The only real pro I can think of playing LOR event myself is the opportunity to get better feel for the packs and the timing. As for the DLOR I think no one outside of USA has played that format ever. :shock:

You are right it is a US based game and it would most likely be an all USA Final however you would get an opportunity to feel the packs and to watch how other players play. Those 2 things alone will really help you for the arena events. I understand originally the plan was to run LOR 1st and then run the rest of the arena events this was done intentionally so people could get a feel for the packs. Fins and the Australians make up half the group for this event so I wont be upset if an LOR event doesn't happen because I know half of the people probably wont enjoy it but trust me when I say it would help you out tremendously for the other events.

Slick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:17 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Slick wrote:
Total of 65 Players (Lets add 1 more and make it an even 66 players) I don't think that everyone in the event will participate in Dlor but lets say they do.

At least two of our players have stated that they don't play any LOR event at all and there might be more people who are not willing to attend DLOR.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:20 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Nihil wrote:
Slick wrote:

At least two of our players have stated that they don't play any LOR event at all and there might be more people who are not willing to attend DLOR.

Yes I am sure more people wont play specially since so many teams only have 5 players. I was doing a worse case scenario kind of thing when I did the math. I am confident I can make it work either way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:24 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Slick wrote:
Fins and the Australians make up half the group for this event so I wont be upset if an LOR event doesn't happen because I know half of the people probably wont enjoy it but trust me when I say it would help you out tremendously for the other events.

Yep, I understand the value of getting better feel for the equipment. However I dont think anyone has ever won a team event purely on timing and/or LOR skillz so I don't think that it is a big deal (not for me at least).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next