World Zone Elite

Zone FTW
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This section of the forum is for only the sponsored Zone Elite events and news updates. Any other contect not related should be posted in the public forums.

Post subject: Worlds 2011 aftermatch + feedback
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:25 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Hello everyone!

Worlds 2011 is finally over. Awesome matches, great atmosphere, location :thumbdown:, arena on the other hand :thumbup:

I'm starting this thread, because I want to hear players' feelings about the tournament (feedback is always great to have around), meaning:
a) How well the organizers did their job on overall ?
b) Schedule, how was it ?
c) Did you feel the tournament was worth the money you spent on it ?
d) Pack system
e) Judging
f) Gaming, dirty or clean enough to be specified as Worlds
g) Something else in addition ?

I had great time over there in Syracuse (Fun Junction at JCPenney's). I'd like to thank Mark + John to have an opportunity to play in a tournament like this. Thanks to those two girls behind the desk too! Special thanks to LW. Without him we would've played with Rift over there, haha. Jokes are bad, aren't they ?

For what I can say, I have never seen this tough gaming and team battles anywhere before (mainly based on different gaming cultures (AUS, FIN, USA)). Game cameras in the lobby gave some intel to different teams and the gaps were so minimal that even one mistake could've caused you to lose the victory in a single game (think of one shot). In other words, the further the tournament went, the tougher battles you had. Games were so intense!

Packs:
a) 25 packs ? In the end 15 working packs, which made the Triples Event impossible.
b) Recharging the packs after 6-8 hour use. Were these retail ones ?
c) When there's a tournament going on, we hope that no one tries to code the system (like trying to add denials etc.). Once everything is done BEFORE the tournament, it stays.

Next time we have referees in the arena at Worlds, they should be more experienced and have the third eye and more common sense to see the false situations, like:
a) Arena Movement (Quick movement / Running / Jumping < one foot rule >)
b) Walls and sling-shots (Using walls to keep the balance up when running, bad idea.)
c) Base Evac and "Pass" -rule (Don't block the active person, ever. You don't need to be the first person to get out of the base when you get a deac. Give a room first, and then get out. Tight entrances to bases and a lot of traffic, definitely.)
d) Leaning / 90 degree rule (Several situations in the bases)
e) Stand-Offs (Dueling on someone's feet)
f) Crouching / Kneeling (Knee on the ground, AUS Eliminator)
g) Shouting (Blocking the wake up sounds by saying: "One here, you know", "One here", "One here, you know")

On overall referees weren't that bad, they just had the lack of experience to judge a tournament like this.

Feedback is great for the better future, and I hope every attended person will put their thoughts here.

Results:
Comp:
1. GP
2. Identity Crisis
3. Coast to Coast

Elim:
1. GP
2. Legends
3. Coast to Coast

Solo:
1. MilkY
2. NiQ
3. DoT

See you around! Keep tagging!

Last edited by Juhgis on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Worlds 2011 aftermatch + feedback
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:46 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Attachment:
peku.jpg
peku.jpg [ 352.99 KiB | Viewed 6760 times ]

GP thanks.
See you at next Worlds :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:48 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Thanks guys!

In my opinnion tournament was well organized, even though packs failed couple of times. For future i think you should make schedule better. We skipped one whole event, and we were still many hours late on schedule.

I totally agree with Juhgis about referees. It was awesome thing that there was referees who didn't play, but still they should be active, and experienced players. It should not be nessesary to put tapes in the bases, so referees would know when to terminate players. It should be judged case by case. Referee should be able to see game with eyes of a player. Did player had other options for his acts, or was his decision _safest_ possible...

Players was really nice the whole tournament! I was impressed about that, honestly. I liked the whole atmosphere during tournament. I hope i will see you guys in future! There should be more international tounraments, and i think it would be good think for all of us to see more of different gamestyles and cultures. I think mostly players was playing really clean game, and everybody knows that this game is intence, but that is why we have referees, right? :) Only player who deserves :thumbdown: sign was that little guy from coast 2 coast. Srsly, im feet taller than you, weight probably more than you, and you are still giving me that "im going to punch you in the mouth" -bullshit? cmon... And i really hope you saw that situation from other point of view after the game, i was only giving you same crap that you were giving entire tournament for all players. You are good player, and most of the time you made really good decisions in the game, so you don't need that.

I liked this city, people was nice, prices were low (compared to finland) and weather was nice.

Thanks for all organizers for afterall great tournament, it didnt always feel like it, but it was a great tournament!

And I apologize if there is typos in this text, my writteng english is just terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:12 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Hi,

Here is my opinion about this tournament

+ Lots of good teams
+ Good teamplay in my team
+ GP winning all
+ Live footage
+ Lonewolf keeping the tournament up and playable(what I heard)

- The whole organizing of the tournament:
1. 95% waiting time 5% actual playing time
2. Small score/grid monitor and people at the desk taking the grid off from the monitor many many times
3. Score updating very slow
4. Only 3 events and no cascades(which would've been a very important part) in comp

- Refereeing was crap almost the whole tournament (where referee didnt take any part)
1. Lots of useless shouting = blocking the activation sounds
2. Wrong place for the referee to stand in the base = Only concentrating on middle line crossings or something smaller, and not the hand covering under the base device (Good example: This fatty guy LILD(?) in the base)
3. Some people running into the base having off-balance in the end or just cant stop the run with one step
4. Some aussie players shooting outside from reloads
- Those game restarts were awful in a system S game = the game which we would've won got restarted -> motivation 0

These things make this tournament the worst I've ever been in

Comparison with the last worlds:
Tournament days/nights: Tampere 5 - Syracuse 6
Events: Tampere 5 - Syracuse 3
Teams: Tampere 12(5 Fin teams) - Syracuse 12 (6! Usa teams)

Tampere 9 points out of 10
Syracuse 3 points ouf of 10

Over and out

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:32 am 
 E-mail  Profile

@Seiska: Being tall, fat, and stupid isn't necessarily threatening. Your horrible hygiene and offensive scent was fairly threatening though...

@Suba:

+You got NO trophies
+C2C eliminated you TWICE
+You try to live vicariously through the only actually skilled Finnish players (GP)
-You look like a serial rapist/killer (I know you think wearing all black all the time is cool, but it's not...)
-You cover SOOOO BAD (all of A7 and whatever shit team you were on do for that matter, I can't even remember your team name though cause we eliminated you so early on in ascensions)

Can someone explain to me why GP is the only Finnish team with social skills? I couldn't figure this out. The two "slow" teams, mentally that is, seem to always congregate among themselves in some creepy manner. GP on the other hand would talk to other people, let loose, and be fun. Even in game, Astma and I would laugh at each other and be friendly when standing off or double deacing, even in finals. That didn't seem to be the case when C2C was giving the D to the other Finnish teams...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:53 am 
 E-mail  Profile

The packs being the way they were is nothing that could have been accounted for and not the tournament coordinators "fault". One should be able to rely on 26 more or less brand new packs to be able to perform but that was not the case, that is because of P&C/Zone providing shit packs/product though.

About the referees/lines:

The lines were put in there more for OUR sake than theirs and I take it over them going just by "discretion". There was also leniency for not leaving at once (although in the "correct" direction) if you just made clear that you were simply delaying your exit for other players convenience. The game masters can not see everything and that will always be the case. Usually players being able to play in the base takes precedence over game masters getting the "best" spot and either way there we will lose out on something, pick your poison.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:00 am 
 E-mail  Profile

You don't know me , and you try to physically threaten me in the game because you were getting schooled. You're lucky you did that to me and not one of the other baltimore / sterling guys.
And I don't care how "dirty" you think I am , this is a game. If you decide to take it further don't get shook when you get manned up on because you thought being bigger than me would effect my reaction

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:09 am 
 E-mail  Profile

What's going on? I thought we had a nice tournament and I played clean matches myself, now we are getting accused of dirty game. OFC I cannot guarantee what my teammates are doing in the arena, but that's what I thought about our team.

Anyhow it is, i had a fun tournament, we never came to win we came to do our best and that was quite bad as you know. Things I didn't like in tournament were, Triples was dropped out, our triplet looked forward to that one (XTL,Plaag,Spartan). And there really was no reffing, most of the terms that were given came from one of the less important rule (which side you go outside the base). Even with these minuses the tournament was good, skill was high not as high as I expected. And the games were totally pretty clean, they could've been much dirtier when we all knew there really wasn't reffing.

About Finns being unsocial there's plenty of reasons and most of them are personal, but our whole culture/country is really unsocial people, we aren't so used to be social with ppl we don't know so good yet, comparing to other cultures about social skills, Finns can feel comfortable even when everyone is quiet for a longer time. Other reasons I found out, when ppl are having so huge egos you really don't want to go and talk to them. Third main problem is that we speak english as our 2nd language and most of us knows only the common words well, and when someone talks with hard accent, it's really hard to understand and communicate.

Personally I found it much easier to talk with Australian players, they were always in a good mood and smiling, and I could understand them much better. My own speaking and listening english language only mediocre, but my writing and reading is a lot better.

See you next worlds, if we all could manage get there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:05 am 
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

Plaag wrote:
And there really was no reffing, most of the terms that were given came from one of the less important rule (which side you go outside the base).

Funny you say that cuz I was terminating people for kneeling, base evac, firing from within reloads, etc. there would have been a lot more terminations from me especially for shielding but due to the fact we were told to use the rule of thumb of if the green beam hits the arm then term however I did not see a lot of this from where I was/ could stand.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:18 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

here is my worlds feedback. america just hosted a world's tournament and didn't win a single event. the USA just had its nexus NUTZ officially snipped and stuffed in its mouth. congratulations God and Pals you guys just rocked the "zone" world. i wish i could come out of nowhere and own the top USA nexus teams in competition but oh yeah that happened. my favorite part of this whole affair is that the team that won is an all-star team made up of players from finland and sweden. hopefully this event was enough of a disaster that people do not try to have a "worlds" AND an australian nats in australia in 2013 and teams from the USA and FINLAND and SWEDEN decide instead to finally MAN UP and head down under for a real showdown that includes everyone in the world at the 2013 australian nationals in canberra. until that happens and someone dethrones australia in australia... no one can claim world domination. no one. not even me, damn it. does it matter that australia came in the same rank as finland did at worlds 1 in 2003? does that mean anything? does that say anything about this "worlds" event? it's 4 in the morning people i will never be done talking never. :smt089: :smt089: :smt089: :los_thefinger: :los_thefinger: :smt045: