World Zone Elite


Zone FTW
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Forum rules


This section of the forum is for only the sponsored Zone Elite events and news updates. Any other contect not related should be posted in the public forums.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MOST FAMILAR EQUIPMENT
V4 or V5 (System Z) 60%  60%  [ 25 ]
T1 or Infusion 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Nexus (FEC or PRO) 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 42
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:53 pm 
Offline
 E-mail  Profile

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:33 pm
Posts: 175
I think its rough on infusion including T in that option.

However I probably have played a majority of my years on T, whilst playing nationals on Infusion. When we upgraded to Nexus I played an absolute bucketload with Doc trying to work out think kinks of the system. However since then i've moved to WA and am now on Infusion again.

Nexus is the best to play competitions on. While the gap between good and bad players is larger than it is on Infusion (much larger) it brings back a bunch of skills that have been missing since pre-T.

I know most people will flame me for this, but other than the location of the hand sensors on nexus, i find no problem with the lasers. :)

_________________
Played at a Nationals? Check out your profile by going to http://auszone.net/db/players.php and searching for yourself. Let me know if there are any mistakes :)


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
 E-mail  Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:33 am
Posts: 378
Good start.

Keep it coming...


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:59 am 
Offline
 E-mail  Profile

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:21 pm
Posts: 239
Location: Finland
I think I have played them all (been playing since 1994) but since it's so long time ago I have been able to play anything else than T-systems or Nexus I have to say Nexus would be my choice for ideal equipment. All the T-systems are quite horrible but Infusion is best of these. Nexus is mostly stable system and works well. I do like a lot about the ability to change the colors of the vest so you can have more than three colors in game at the same time. The bases could be better.
Phasor could also be better. Older design of phasor was easy to use and enabled all kinds of groovy handholds but it was also too easy to cover. This pissed me off quite a lot. Nexus phasor is better because you can't cover it but it is still too hard to hit because of the sensor placement.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:11 am 
Offline
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 721
Location: [philadelphia, pa]
Like many others said: V4 > V5 > Nexus > T2 > T1

Nexus is kind of losing it's luster to me personally, though. Aside from the first Nats we played at Bailey's in 2008 strangely enough, I haven't seen the hitability in line with what I think we were all expecting it would someday get to.

Likewise, we haven't played a tournament on it yet where the wake up order is like Z (sound/can be hit/lights/fire), no matter what anyone says; If it were, everyone would be complaining that it was impossible to come up on someone because the packs are too easy to hit.

As crazy as it sounds, I enjoyed the Invites Infusion packs this year a lot more than the Nexus packs at Nats. They were tremendously easier to dodge, and there were way less pack issues. Part of that preference I'm sure is the fact that I play them all the time, but I'd be willing to bet if infusion had normal stun/stun/deac and played nexus or Z pack sounds, you'd all like infusion just as much, if not more than nexus....because the timing/wake up is almost exactly the same....and you don't have to deal with the goofy laser.

I will agree that the bases on infusion AND nexus need some work. For systems that have a shotgun of IR coming out of the barrel, it's ridiculous that you have to be so meticulous about where you hit a base target. It's also ridiculous that it's 2011 and bases lag, shut off mid game, don't register multiple shots, etc. The Z bases were great. If you hit it, it registered instantly. Period.

_________________
[╬] R s D [╬] be great.run game.hang numbers.
ultrazone - bensalem, pa


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:45 am 
Offline
 E-mail  Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:39 am
Posts: 488
Quote:
but I'd be willing to bet if infusion had normal stun/stun/deac and played nexus or Z pack sounds, you'd all like infusion just as much, if not more than nexus....because the timing/wake up is almost exactly the same....and you don't have to deal with the goofy laser.


This can be proven.. very very soon ;)


Quote:
For systems that have a shotgun of IR coming out of the barrel, it's ridiculous that you have to be so meticulous about where you hit a base target.


This really should be fixable, for both systems. When I tore our Infusion base targets apart, I found that they had wrapped paper all around the IR receivers to force you to shoot the target only from one direction. After removing this paper, our bases are 100 times easier to hit. Too bad I didn't check this out before our last tournament :?

Nexus bases have a similar thing, but in their case, its reflective foil in the way so not only do you have to hit the base from a certain angle, if you don't, the shot reflects back out and hits your team mates. Again, this could be removed very easily.

Sevron


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:23 pm
Posts: 1092
Assassin wrote:
Nexus is kind of losing it's luster to me personally, though. Aside from the first Nats we played at Bailey's in 2008 strangely enough, I haven't seen the hitability in line with what I think we were all expecting it would someday get to.

Likewise, we haven't played a tournament on it yet where the wake up order is like Z (sound/can be hit/lights/fire), no matter what anyone says; If it were, everyone would be complaining that it was impossible to come up on someone because the packs are too easy to hit.
You have not played on the packs we have ;) I don't remember if it was Pun or Mark, but someone told me the other day that it was impossible to come up on someone :lol: And these are quite dodgable once we turned the IR down. Also, I don't know if the length of time between events is exactly the same as Z, but the order is most definitely correct - if you fire at someone who's coming up right when you hear the sound it will not register the hit, yet you can no-light them if you get the timing just right. They also cannot fire until after their lights come on.

As for the bases, I'm planning on "adjusting" that foil cover over the sensors, probably replacing it with air :lol: Even if I don't completely remove it, I will be making it non-reflective so you don't bounce shots off of it.

/LW

_________________
Member Number Creator | RP Button Creator | v4 Start Sequence Creator

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those that know binary, and those that don't.

find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:23 pm
Posts: 1092
Sevron wrote:
This really should be fixable, for both systems. When I tore our Infusion base targets apart, I found that they had wrapped paper all around the IR receivers to force you to shoot the target only from one direction. After removing this paper, our bases are 100 times easier to hit.
Ditto that. Although when I removed our paper it didn't make them that much more hittable, so I ended up replacing the IR receivers (they were the old green cap style) which DID make them very hittable - you can peg red base from the other corner of the arena no problem now :lol:

/LW

_________________
Member Number Creator | RP Button Creator | v4 Start Sequence Creator

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those that know binary, and those that don't.

find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:52 pm 
Offline
 E-mail  Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:37 pm
Posts: 134
Location: Sherman Oaks
BigMark wrote:
Good start.

Keep it coming...


That's what she said...


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:53 am 
Offline
 E-mail  Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:22 am
Posts: 189
Most familiar system: T1(3000)

System I would want to play if there was money involved: None, as long as you can cover like an ass and get away with it this will never be a sport where you can earn money.

System I like to play for tournaments: Nexus.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:58 am
Posts: 62
Location: New York, USA
lonewolf wrote:
Assassin wrote:
Nexus is kind of losing it's luster to me personally, though. Aside from the first Nats we played at Bailey's in 2008 strangely enough, I haven't seen the hitability in line with what I think we were all expecting it would someday get to.

Likewise, we haven't played a tournament on it yet where the wake up order is like Z (sound/can be hit/lights/fire), no matter what anyone says; If it were, everyone would be complaining that it was impossible to come up on someone because the packs are too easy to hit.
You have not played on the packs we have ;) I don't remember if it was Pun or Mark, but someone told me the other day that it was impossible to come up on someone :lol: And these are quite dodgable once we turned the IR down. Also, I don't know if the length of time between events is exactly the same as Z, but the order is most definitely correct - if you fire at someone who's coming up right when you hear the sound it will not register the hit, yet you can no-light them if you get the timing just right. They also cannot fire until after their lights come on.

As for the bases, I'm planning on "adjusting" that foil cover over the sensors, probably replacing it with air :lol: Even if I don't completely remove it, I will be making it non-reflective so you don't bounce shots off of it.

/LW


Hiya Lonewolf! Long time no see! Anyway I love what I am reading hear, however it does not really solve the problems that Assassin brings up. While true it may make your specific site a totally different experience, it only does it for that SINGLE site. Which just highlights the major issue underpinning the entire situation, which is the MASSIVE fluctuation we have seen in the performance of Nexus gear from site to site. That coupled with the rather extensive and non-obvious modifications required to make it even play tournament style, well it just is not practical to expect most if many sites to do it, let alone allow it.

For all the flaws, at least infusion plays like infusion, whether one be playing it at the FEC down the street, at a stand alone place, or at an Ultrazone. While mods help it, it doesnt require a mod out of the box to feel similar to another infusion system also just out of the box. So far I have yet to experience even two Nexus FEC sites that play similar despite exact same supposed firmware and software setup. :smt089:

The result is that we end up with sites such as the one right near myself, which want to run events and have regulars, but who wont allow any technical meddling with their equipment. Thus they are unusable as players can fire before they reactivate, shoot a shotgun blast out across the field that bounces off everything, and no comp scoring.

_________________
-Nate

"Welcome to Costco, I love you."


Top
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits     
Updated By Kieron Thwaites (Ron2K)