World Zone Elite

Zone FTW
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This section of the forum is for only the sponsored Zone Elite events and news updates. Any other contect not related should be posted in the public forums.

MOST FAMILAR EQUIPMENT
V4 or V5 (System Z) 60%  60%  [ 25 ]
T1 or Infusion 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Nexus (FEC or PRO) 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 42
 Post subject: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:12 am 
 E-mail  Profile

I'd like to get an idea of what system y'all are most familiar with... Specifically, if you had to play Laser Tag on one system, and it was for tons of money, what system would you choose...? and, as a follow-up, if you can explain... why?

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: POLL: MOST FAMILIAR EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:04 am 
 E-mail  Profile

most experience - Infusion ( probably played about 2200-2500 games and 3 Australian nationals).

equipment i would choose for a competition - Nexus hands down ( even though i have only played 1 Australian nationals and 1 training weekend of it in total - approx 70 games total)

IMO, Nexus just plays a lot better than infusion and takes the randomness out that infusion brings with its timings. Nexus packs being lighter and much more form fitting/less bulky also allow for a much more energetic, athletic game which i find to be more competitive and fun...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:24 am 

IMO:

V5>= Nexus > V4 >>>>> Infusion

V5 is almost perfect system IMO. I like nexus style vests, exception being the large back sensor and large laser. If you could get the nexus vest with a smaller laser (I like the trigger, and the trigger guard doesn't mess with my tiny fingers). Personally I'd reorganize the back sensor to get the battery to one area and make the back smaller, possibly more like the front. Moving the shoulder up some and speakers in them, along with the other changes, makes nexus perfect IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:08 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

V5 was not that great if you ask me. It went from having to aim/dodge a lot. Which to me is the point of the game. Then went to V5 which you don't have to aim as much but it does look a lot better on video. Then again i only have one V5 trophy to the best of my knowledge so it may just be an old man complaining. Long story short i vote V4.

My V4 idols....In that order

Pun
Skywalker (Bernie)
Freeze

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:44 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

I vote V4 as well for maybe seemingly obvious reasons, but mostly what Ballistic said. For me its really all about dodging, and not just random potential dodging, but accurate, predictable dodging that can be reproduced under the same conditions repeatedly. I kinda agree that V5 was a little too easy to hit, but still not terrible. At least the timing was right. Though when tweaked correctly Nexus and Infusion can be made into systems where you can dodge, it still never feels quite as reliable as V4.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:04 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

To answer the question as it was asked...

what system y'all are most familiar with

Infusion

Specifically, if you had to play Laser Tag on one system, what system would you choose

Nexus

Specifically, if you had to play Laser Tag on one system and it was for tons of money

Infusion

To elaborate:

I feel most comfortable on Infusion, basically because I know the system better... I believe I can beat more people using Infusion packs than the other systems mentioned...

HOWEVER...

Going forward I believe that Nexus provides an equal playing field for all participants and requires more skill. The phasor is the most irritating thing about Nexus and causes me to get calluses on my fingers due to the sensor location being excessively rigid... Especially when you play a significant amount of games over a short period of time. It's as if when P&C Micros decided to go from Infusion to Nexus they said "What's the best thing about the Infusion packs?" "Oh, the phasor design... Let's replace it with a hairdryer".

So at the end of the day, I enjoy playing Nexus at the moment and can't imagine our Nationals going back to Infusion ever again - but if my life was on the line... I would play Infusion because I know the system better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

You going somewhere with this, Mark?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:08 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

oo-cool wrote:
You going somewhere with this, Mark?

That's a silly question to ask! :lol: But, the real question is. What is he thinking?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:42 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Z > nexus > infusion

pretty sure the v4 had the fire sync issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:50 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

V4>V5>>Nexus>>>>Infusion

V4 had the potential to use individual skill and fight off multiple players to successfully defend positions. Quick-ups also used strategically were very powerful. It had the drawbacks of high maintenance and battery life.

V5 was similar but a wider beam and the sensors hit easier. I feel it was closer to V4 than nexus but it was definitely different.

Nexus I like the charging design, the way you can change colors, have several teams in at once, the lighter vest, realtime scoring, and hopefully I'll like the speakers in the shoulders once I play on it. Cons are definitely the larger laser, double deacs, wide ir, reduced dodging. All this changes the way the game plays reducing individuals dominating an area and teamwork winning out but there are times you can standoff.

Infusion I have only played 4 times myself, 3 at Philly tournaments and 1 at Sherman oaks base flags. I personally feel it has way too strong an ir and is too sensitive to being hit. The wake up is also not the best. I have learned how to play and adapted quite well but these drawbacks take all of the individual ability out of the game and make it a team system. With people placed in proper positions shooting from cover you can dominate an area and anyone dumb enough to go it alone. This makes it my least favorite as there needs to be a balance. teamwork is necessary but individual skill needs to play a role as well.

Nexus is not my favorite on the list but I think with a few changes it can be the most balanced of the systems and create tournaments with a higher competition level for the future.

Just my opinion.

Is the most winningest American player by making all three finals and claiming 2 trophies...
Wonders where his medals are, guess someone kept them as coasters...
Has a love / hate relationship with ascensions...