World Zone Elite

Zone FTW
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This section of the forum is for only the sponsored Zone Elite events and news updates. Any other contect not related should be posted in the public forums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Teams Attending Worlds Rosters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:23 am 
 E-mail  Profile

sHaDeZoRz wrote:
i would have gone after someone who plays nexus though, lol.

I thought you just demonstrated that Nexus experience didn't matter that much? :smt112:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:36 am 
 E-mail  Profile

I wouldnt just say "Nexus experience" in this case.

Just having played Nexus if its "default install" or "lonewolf mod" I do not think will be overly useful to be honest. This timing is so different (and to a certain degree penalizes people who have played a lot of lonewolf mod) and also the IR settings that they are going to use makes it a totally different animal.

I would pick a very good Z player who gets to play some practice sessions before the tournament with the right settings over someone who has played a lot of lonewolf mod with default IR settings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:32 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Wraith wrote:
sHaDeZoRz wrote:
i would have gone after someone who plays nexus though, lol.

I thought you just demonstrated that Nexus experience didn't matter that much? :smt112:

yeah, for me. :smt109:

lol, but that's not how it happened.... the equipment at bailey's was horrid. gameplay was unacceptably poor. about 60 percent of all stand-offs ended with a double deac. gameplay in lor was so laughable that players were literally laughing at the double deacs around finals. the lasers were cannons and the wake up order was still nexus/infusion as far as can be hit and can fire. it wasn't too fun to compete on. zero won solos if that says anything, lol.

the equipment and the tight layout of the arena led the team event to be extremely team oriented instead of nice big brawls where the talented truly shined. i spent most of every game inside a base shooting around a wall to keep people out. we did well because we spent hours discussing base management strategy as a team at the ihop every morning all week and we practiced base brawling at sterling for four days leading up to the tournament. our finals strategy was based on "30 bases"..... making sure that we got our 30 and that everyone else didn't.

karaoke is a great solo v5 player but isn't really known as a team game strategist and never excelled on v4s. splatta, nightrun and fallout all have more v4 trophies than karaoke. :mrgreen: the last time he competed was with me and ros at nats 2002 in portland on TEABAG2. he is short and his style of dipping into opponents on v5 packs where the speaker covers the shoulder sensors from above is not going to work with the nexus shoulders. he is going to have to make massive adjustments not only to his brawling style and timing but of course to the laser after not competing for 9 years. my break before nats was only 3 years, i was familiar with the infusion/nexus wake up order and i am one of the winningest all-time zone team captains. legends took a major hit in terms of strategic thinking when they lost cyber.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:05 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

sHaDeZoRz wrote:
the equipment and the tight layout of the arena led the team event to be extremely team oriented instead of nice big brawls where the talented truly shined

zone is a TEAM game... how is that a bad thing. isnt a solos tournament or LOR designed to give you your 'brawls'... surely in the TEAM event the TEAM with the best TEAMwork should win. by all means if your guys play best by running around by yourselves seeking out 1 on 1 situations, go for it, but i dont see it working in a high end event...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:11 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Cyc wrote:
sHaDeZoRz wrote:
the equipment and the tight layout of the arena led the team event to be extremely team oriented instead of nice big brawls where the talented truly shined

zone is a TEAM game... how is that a bad thing. isnt a solos tournament or LOR designed to give you your 'brawls'... surely in the TEAM event the TEAM with the best TEAMwork should win. by all means if your guys play best by running around by yourselves seeking out 1 on 1 situations, go for it, but i dont see it working in a high end event...

You'd be shocked to see how they play their team games Cyc. Because of the slower shot speed and stuns, the brawls actually become a part of the team game.

Dont worry though, you will just dominate them all anyhow :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:15 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Cyc wrote:
sHaDeZoRz wrote:

you're misunderstanding. when the game is properly balanced, the best teams with the best players and best teamwork will win... but in the event that a hot shot player goes off on his own and doesn't work with his team, his team will lose but he will still get a great score individually. the game is imbalanced toward team play when the hotshot goes off on his own and gets a terrible score as a result.

that's just my opinion. i have won plenty of high end events.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:02 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Well Well Well, it is official i am going to worlds.. Now i know its been a long time since i have even picked up a laser and trust me i know i am no Cyber... but with enough practice i think i can still compete. but we will have to see.. Now down to business, I believe there is a doubles event and a triples event, please correct me if i am wrong. Anyways i am looking for a partner, also looking for a triples team as well. so if there are any open teams that needs a 3rd or maybe an old school player that needs a partner let me know. Oh and Shade why dont you stop by Sherman Oaks this weekend. Then you can tell the world your opinion... :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:41 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

karaoke wrote:
Oh and Shade why dont you stop by Sherman Oaks this weekend. Then you can tell the world your opinion... :twisted:

lol, i may have to if you're going to be there! it will also be interesting to get your opinion of nexus. :smt045:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:15 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

karaoke wrote:
Well Well Well, it is official i am going to worlds.. Now i know its been a long time since i have even picked up a laser and trust me i know i am no Cyber... but with enough practice i think i can still compete. but we will have to see.. Now down to business, I believe there is a doubles event and a triples event, please correct me if i am wrong. Anyways i am looking for a partner, also looking for a triples team as well. so if there are any open teams that needs a 3rd or maybe an old school player that needs a partner let me know. Oh and Shade why dont you stop by Sherman Oaks this weekend. Then you can tell the world your opinion... :twisted:

Got you a doubles partner from Baltimore, a good choice I would roll with, you should be set for doubles. Look to trips.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:30 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

sHaDeZoRz wrote:
karaoke wrote:
Oh and Shade why dont you stop by Sherman Oaks this weekend. Then you can tell the world your opinion... :twisted:

lol, i may have to if you're going to be there! it will also be interesting to get your opinion of nexus. :smt045:

I hope so, I could use some tips from the reigning -undefeated- Nexus team champion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next