World Zone Elite

Zone FTW
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This section of the forum is for only the sponsored Zone Elite events and news updates. Any other contect not related should be posted in the public forums.

Post subject: Re: Zone tournaments in michigan, ohio, indiana, illinois
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:58 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Mr Joshua wrote:
Played several games last night did some team games and some triples this was my first time playing nexus i was highly impressed, i would like to see an arena map layout from an arena or two that has had a tournament if someone could post. Thanks

There's only so much you can derive from the 2-D maps of the arenas we usually play in. They won't do any of the old 'Ultrazone' branded sites justice. Brian had some awesome 3-D maps of some old school arenas that would give you a much better idea. Philly, Alhambra, Bailey's etc. I don't know if they're up anywhere at the moment though.

The general design rules of those places (usually) were 3 bases, each had a reload and a ramp entrance to the upstairs very close by. Bases were usually enclosed rooms (the interiors were normally completely shielded from upstairs fire) with 2 entrances each so that you could defend the doors in some manner from the inside. We play with a rule called 'base evacuation' that essentially means that if you are deactivated within a base, you have to leave, and unless your pack is active, you can't enter a base.

If you have the opportunity to change game settings (not for normal public games), we play with 1 shot per second, 8 second deacs, 4 second stuns, and 3 consecutive stuns will deactivate a pack. Bases should be set to take 3 shots to destroy. Aside from the nuanced timing tweaks and stuff that we do, that will at least give you a feel for the pace of the games.

Team sizes can range (historically) from 5 to 10 man teams, depending on the arena; Lately it's been in the 5-7 range. As others have mentioned though, we always play 3 teams in a game at once. Game length usually depends on the team size, but 12 minutes is the most common.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:08 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Mr Joshua wrote:
Assassin wrote:
Lost City used to be a Laser Storm arena. They swapped out to a 36 pack Nexus FEC system not too long ago.

The map actually looks intriguing (especially the upstairs), but I'm sure the site is a 2 base arena instead of 3 unfortunately because zone doesn't even tell prospective owners that you can play with three teams anymore, depsite the fact that they sell a system that does a million different colors....

I'd be curious to know what the bases look like.

The bases are the square versions with the circle in the middle.

I meant the actual structures themselves, not the target cards. As I mentioned, 'bases' in our terminology includes the arena structures that house the target cards. Usually they're pretty big rooms with 2 entrances.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:27 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

We have two enclosed areas at the bottom of each ramp for base areas and our arena has many spots for a third base.